PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 22:58
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Keith - well I think any TRE who gave a major change of SID at 200' on climb out would be being a bit harsh. Yes of course the FMS should be checked against the plates under normal circumstances, but those were not normal circumstances and I consider my actions were the best under the circumstances. What else should I have done - continued on the old SID towards the conflicting traffic? Personally I think it was a mild example of "resilience".

I'm surprised at your comments about the overall "usefulness" of automation bearing in mind the sort of comments I got from line pilots. Are you really advocating a reversion to "mandraulic" flying with mechanical dials etc? In the fixed wing world the introduction of automation is considered to have had a measurable safety benefit and I don't see why, 20 years down the line, we won't see the same result for RW. Sure, the FW boys still crash, and sometimes automation is at the root of it, but overall they crash less often.

Anyway, to be harsh (again!), Automation is here to stay so best get used to it and make the most of it!