PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CL44-O N447FT
Thread: CL44-O N447FT
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 17:03
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could never quite understand what was so wonderful about N447T. It certainly did have a voluminous cargo bay but the arse-end was about 12 feet above the ramp.
I can remember parking alongside N447T (when she was with TMAC) in my Belfast. the TMAC captain and F/O came over and had coffee with us upstairs on the flight deck. They were trying to unload a large 6-wheeled oil industry seismic truck (which weighed a lot) and the last 12 feet down to the ramp was proving rather difficult and time consuming.
As far as I can remember, they had no less than 7 pieces of ground equipment involved in the unloading process. Two GPUs were attached to the nose jacking points to stop it from sitting on its arse whilst at the back, two large forklifts were supporting the HILO which wasn't strong enough to take the weight of the truck.
Whilst all this was going on we sat there drinking our coffees reflecting with the TMAC crew just how difficult life could be. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was driving up and down our ramp with no difficulty at all. (Our usual load into Tehran was an awful lot of Chieftain tank gearboxes. I was told that the locals couldn't get them out of 2nd gear so they didn't bother - with the inevitable results).
Of course, the other problem with the CL-44 was that it needed a start-cart whereas the belfast had electric start.

Happy Days.