PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 15:14
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
What, you mean I no longer need to retain the fact that the AS332L main gear tyre pressure is 7.2 Bar and the OEI 20 second transient Ng limit is 34,900 rpm? Or that the tail rotor goes to 1 degree and 6 seconds of pitch when the control cable snaps? Damn, no wonder I don't have any space in my head to remember other stuff - like people's names......

HC is correct that much of this detail was included a) to satisfy the CAA exams and b) because the groundschool was written by engineers and, to an extent, contained existing material from engineer's groundschool.

When I did the EC155 factory groundschool it was very apparent that their philosophy was rather different, and I remember the engines section comprising of "it has two engines and two yellow switches to turn them on and off" (to all intents and purposes). However, I also agree with HC that some degree of wider knoweldge is also an important thing, and the fact that I had previously learned in labourious detail how the hydro-pneumatic FCU on the PT-6 worked (in the B212) has done no harm. In fact I would say it has given a good understanding of what the basic principles of turbine governing are, which are essential in then understanding how a FADEC works too.

The key is to correctly identify the wood for the trees!