PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About OML and OSL restrictions
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 15:02
Alda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are accepted by an airline for training, normally you start with a safety pilot and after a few sectors he's not required and it'll just be you and the training captain. In your case they would have to keep the safety with you until you're checked out/cleared to operate on your own due to your OML restriction - I believe this is what the doctor was referring to.
@Sygyzy : That is precisely the type of information I am searching for. You are maybe talking about the same thing as this doctor. Do you have any ideas where could I find references about that ? I believed that with the type rating I would be considered as "qualified".

@Denti : It brings us to your answer :

Interesting, why would an OML restricted pilot need a safety FO for the whole training? Yes, he may operate only as qualified FO or with a qualified FO, however once the correct license and type in said license is issued he is deemed qualified, isn't he? And the rating is entered into the license after the completion of ZFT or base training.
So that is really what I would like to know. I'm into emails and phone exchanges since 2 weeks with the french DGAC Medical pole and the main Aemc, but I have no answer yet as a lot of people are on holidays...

Is the line check is mandatory before getting fully "qualified", regarding the OML definition in the part MED ? Or does the end of the type rating and base training would be sufficent ?

For your information, here are the quotes from the Aircrew part-MED.B.001 : SUBPART B, REQUIREMENTS FOR PILOT MEDICAL CERTIFICATES, SECTION 1, General, from 25.11.2011
MED.B.001 Limitations to medical certificates

(d) Operational limitation codes

(1) Operational multi-pilot limitation (OML — Class 1 only)

(i) When the holder of a CPL, ATPL or MPL does not fully meet the requirements for a Class 1 medical certificate and has been referred to the licensing authority, it shall be assessed whether the medical certificate may be issued with an OML ‘valid only as or with qualified co-pilot’. This assessment shall be performed by the licensing authority.

(ii) The holder of a medical certificate with an OML shall only operate an aircraft in multi-pilot operations when the other pilot is fully qualified on the relevant type of aircraft, is not subject to an OML and has not attained
the age of 60 years.

(iii) The OML for Class 1 medical certificates may only be imposed and removed by the licensing authority.

(2) Operational Safety Pilot Limitation (OSL — Class 2 and LAPL privileges)

(i) The holder of a medical certificate with an OSL limitation shall only operate an aircraft if another pilot fully qualified to act as pilot-in-command on the relevant class or type of aircraft is carried on board, the aircraft is fitted with dual controls and the other pilot occupies a seat at the controls.

(ii) The OSL for Class 2 medical certificates may be imposed or removed by an AeMC or AME in consultation with the licensing authority.

Here are the quotes from the Acceptable Means of Compliance
and Guidance Material to Part-MED1 (EASA) :

GM1 MED.B.001 Limitation codes

OML: Valid only as or with qualified co-pilot
This applies to crew members who do not meet the medical requirements for single crew operations, but are fit for multi-crew operations. Applicable to class 1 medical certificates only.

OSL : Valid only with safety pilot and in aircraft with dual controls
The safety pilot is qualified as PIC on the class/type of aircraft and rated for the flight conditions. He/she occupies a control seat, is aware of the type(s) of possible incapacity that the pilot whose medical certificate has been issued with this limitation may suffer and is prepared to take over the aircraft controls during flight. Applicable to class 2 and LAPL medical
certificates only.
@Narrow Runway : Thanks for your point of view.

@maxed-out : Your question is interesting since I am obviously in this case. I don't know if this is an issue.

Many thanks guys for participating.

Cheers