PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 13:01
Boudreaux Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of us have been saying exactly that for years especially when comparing the FAA and CAA system of Pilot Written Exams as an example.

Do we really care about the inner workings of a Cereal Bowl Compass and how it works or does it suffice we understand how to use a Magnetic Compass and understand factors that influence its accuracy?

I have sat through and taught ground school classes on many different aircraft systems. Some used very detailed drawings, component cutaways, and systems trainers that displayed reactions to Switch movements and triggers to Warning/Caution Lights but in the end it mattered only that the Pilot understood how to recognize abnormal reactions or indications, know how to deal with those, and continue to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.

Determining "Must Know", "Should Know", "Good to Know" and "Nice to Know" and "Who Cares", levels of knowledge is the key. Unburden the amount of teaching needed to meet the Standard and far more attention can be given to the required, necessary, and really useful information.

My view is generally, if a Pilot cannot control the function of a component by means of a Switch, Control, Push Button, or Knob....then only a familiarity with the function of the item is needed.

Do I care which parts of a helicopter are made of Stainless Steel or what tolerance in Microns a filter has or do I care only to know if a filter is blocked and I get an in cockpit indication of that.....then what I should do when that happens? What remedial or corrective action is possible and what effect such an indication has on the conduct of continued flight should be my concern and not the inner workings of the filter itself.