PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happens to personnel serving in the armed forces if Scotland gets independence?
Old 24th Jul 2014, 09:19
tomdocherty72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens to personnel serving in the armed forces if Scotland gets independence?

I asked the above question of the yes Campaign and received this in responseBold highlights are mine)

"Chapter 6 of "Scotland's Future" sets out proposals for defence and the armed forces, with page 244 setting out the arrangements for personnel.

Below are the most relevant paragraphs, which make clear the continuity of rights and entitlements for those who take up the offer of transfer to the Scottish defence forces - though this would be purely a matter of choice.

"The Scottish Government respects the service of current personnel. We will ensure that all current service personnel will be eligible for a post in the Scottish defence forces, though they will not need to take it up.

"All service personnel will have the reassurance that they will not face compulsory redundancy during their service contract. This Scottish Government would examine how the terms and conditions of service personnel could be improved, for example through the official representation of service personnel.

"Where whole or part of units are identified for transfer to Scottish defence forces, the Scottish Government will ensure that all current UK service personnel within those units can remain with them for at least a transitional period, where they wish to do so. A similar approach will be followed for reserve personnel and the important role of cadet forces will also be maintained.

"The aim will be a phased and responsible approach to the position of those currently serving in the UK armed forces who might wish to transfer to Scottish defence forces. Some may transfer immediately, while others would continue in their current role. It is our intention that terms and conditions remain harmonised through this period. Any sensible approach would recognise that, at the end of that process, it is highly likely that citizens from the rest of the UK, Ireland and from other Commonwealth countries would be serving in an independent Scotland’s defence forces. Though it would ultimately be a decision for the rest of the UK, we also expect that Scottish citizens will continue to serve in UK forces if they wish to, as citizens of Ireland and the Commonwealth do."

In our view independence also means we can make a significantly better job of looking after our service personnel than the UK Ministry of Defence which has presided over compulsory redundancies, falling morale, and poor procurement and provision of equipment."

I did not receive a response to my question about the composition of the Scottish Armed Forces - no and type of units, squadrons, ships etc.