PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service pension if Scotland were to become independent
Old 24th Jul 2014, 09:11
tomdocherty72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service pension if Scotland were to become independent

I wished to know what effect Scottish independence would have on my pension and asked the question of the yes campaign as Scotland would then be outwith the UK I wanted to know if my pension would be frozen as I would now be residing in a foreign country. Here is the response I received:

"Q. What happens to my military pension?

A. The Scottish Government has also published an extensive guide to "Pensions in an independent Scotland". It explains that "this Government proposes that an independent Scotland will take on responsibility for the pensions of staff within the civil service, armed forces and others who work in Scotland’s public service, as well as existing pensioners and deferred members".

The paper also provides the following reassurance: "On independence, the public service pensions of members of currently reserved schemes who live in or work for Scotland – for example, the armed forces and civil servants – would continue to be paid in full".

The Scottish Government confirms that all rights and entitlements to public service pensions will continue to be protected on independence, and that there will be no difference to individual contribution rates or benefit levels as a result of independence. Your pension will therefore not be frozen."