PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XT597 for sale
Thread: XT597 for sale
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 09:05
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we're pretty-much in agreement on most points there , in fact you've repeated some of my own comments. I guess our only major difference is the more general issue of what, precisely, the RAF Museum is all about. As I said previously, one can identify many projects that are not strictly "RAF" but still of relevance, so it's a question of where one draws the line.

Personally (and it's not just my view), the Dornier saga is a step too far. Even a complete aircraft is a questionable subject if funds have to be allocated to it when there are other more important RAF artefacts to preserve, but to pour money into a lump of scrap metal is ridiculous. I was not surprised to see many visitors literally scratching their heads, wondering what all the fuss was about and what they were even looking at.

As you will have read, I wasn't "blaming" the loss of XT597 on the RAFM, I was merely highlighting the absurdity of allocating a lot of money to a project that many people think is entirely inappropriate for the RAF Museum, while a very significant Phantom has not (presumbaly) even caught RAFM's attention for so much as a millisecond. It seems to confirm the worry that for the RAF, IWM etc., history seems to largely end in 1945.

Personally, my "blame" goes entirely on QinetiQ and MoD. As ever, they have reduced a very significant artefact to just its scrap metal value. Yes, they do have a responsibility to the taxpayer to recover as much money as possible, but one would hope that they would also have an understanding of history and heritage, and would therefore handle the disposal of its assets in a more intelligent and thoughtful way. Clearly that isn't happening - as usual.