PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone got a kitfox or avid speedwing?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2014, 00:30
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown over 1200 hours in Kitfoxes, I certainly would not describe their handling as quirky.

The early marks, especially Models 1 and 2, are difficult to keep in balance and land consistently well. They also tend to have two stroke engines- which sound different and are probably less reliable than the engines most light aircraft pilots are used to. However, early Kitfoxes are cheap and easy to fly safely imho. Instruction on a light taildragger such as a Thruster is very good preparation

The later models, particularly Models 4 onwards- with the changed wing section- are much easier to land well especially if they have the wider spring aluminium landing gear. They also tend to have more economical four stroke engines. I currently have a Model 5 with Rotax 912S engine and Grove landing gear. It is a benign taildragger with 100 knot cruise and lots of inertia but retains the excellent short and rough field capability of the earlier models.I understand that the Models 6 and 7 are similar.