PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 23:10
Matari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lvflyer:

You've got some very interesting things going on with your Enstrom. From what you've posted, I recall you've have collective binding problems, a leaking gearbox, panel and flight control tube corrosion, M/R leading edge erosion and delamination, untorqued transmission mount bolts, and now a dry clutch.

On top of all that, you've paid a mechanic for a recent annual inspection where these discrepancies should have been found and fixed.

It seems, just based on the incomplete evidence here, that your A&P (and AI?) may have dropped the ball -- to put it mildly. For that, you may want to have a word with the local FSDO.

However, and with respect, your remedies for the listed discrepancies seem equally worrisome. Rustoleum from Walmart in lieu of Zinc Chromate? Household paint on the M/R blade leading edge?

Who is applying the paint? Is it being done per OEM requirements? Is blade balance being considered? And is the blade erosion outside of tolerance? Who is doing the filing/blending on the leading edge? Who is balancing the blades afterwards? Will this work be signed off by an A&P? Are your torque wrenches certified accurate? Are your maintenance manuals (which I assume you are following) up to date, with latest revisions and bulletins?

My recommendation would be for you to stop where you are and assess the condition of the aircraft as an pilot/owner, and not as a mechanic (unless you are an A&P). You should find a competent, well qualified mechanic to inspect the aircraft NOW. Get an estimate to complete the repair work using OEM and FAA approved materials and consumables.

If you can't afford to do it right, you have some serious decisions to make. You can continue down your current path of what seems to be non-compliant standards, or you can cut your losses and sell the aircraft to someone with the budget to complete the work in an approved way. Enstroms are well regarded aircraft...it will sell even in pieces.

I've never worked on an Enstrom, but I've signed enough helicopter maintenance logbooks to know that before I put my name to paper, the work was done per spec and parts used were all genuine and authorized by the OEM and/or FAA. Your Enstrom deserves that. The FAA requires it.

And most importantly, your family and passengers trust that your aircraft has been maintained to the highest standards. Don't let them down.