PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which florida flight school for PPL?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 22:23
londonskeptic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've been looking at doing my PPL with EFT too. I'm hoping if I can make a decision quickly enough I can start mid-August.

I had the chance to speak to someone who studied there in April. His experience was mixed.
On the positive side, he felt that the instructors were good pilots (though not necessarily all great instructors) and that the school has quite a militaristic way of drumming in the lessons. He felt that he'd come away with good skills and very few bad habits.

That said, he didn't leave with his licence as he ran out of time, and of the group of students that started at the same time as him, the first one to complete took around 8 weeks. He planned to do 60 hours of lessons in 4 weeks but only managed 35 hours in 5 weeks. This appears to be due to a mixture of technical issues with the planes, and one of the runways being out of use at that time.
The other problems he mentioned were to do with bad organisation and communication - most of the instances he cited could have been resolved more easily had EFT been more forthcoming with information. Finally, he thought the on-site accommodation was pretty bad and, although the Vero Beach houses were a lot better, there is a long journey via intermittent shuttle bus service from the houses to the airfield.

Although the negatives are quite offputting, I'm not sure if other schools would be better. Also, I've not found anywhere else that offers the EASA PPL licence in a consolidated course.

Let me know what decision you make, and good luck doing so!