PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XT597 for sale
Thread: XT597 for sale
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 17:52
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignoring Salad's trolling, it's not a case of "getting over myself" ExAscot. I'm not the only person who finds the notion of spending RAFM on a foreign artefact (and a rubbish one at that), quite ridiculous.

You're quite right - Cosford wouldn't have an F-111, or an MH-53, but one has to ask what these are doing there, in the RAF Museum. The Neptune is a gift and it's outside, and it doesn't really affect anything. Pucara had a (short) RAF connection (well, A&AEE), but a Danish Catalina has always seemed rather bizarre. As you say, we wouldn't want "Johnny Foreigner" in the museum. It's rather like going to a fishmongers to buy a suit. Just doesn't make any sense. The RAF Museum should be about the RAF. Simples.

Naturally one can make all sorts of claims that other exhibits are relevant... bit like the proverbial piece of string. Almost anything is relevant if one takes a broad view. That's fine, but when a lot of money is being spent, it does make a lot of us wonder what's going on. Wouldn't be so bad if it was actually a Dornier, and not a lump of coal.

I also agree about the BofB Museum, obviously one can't have BofB aircraft without the Luftwaffe. But one could question what the RAFM is doing creating a BofB Museum. All very well to drift off into many interesting tangents, but they all cost money and, as demonstrated by XT597, some far more relevant aircraft can find themselves ignored as a result.

Yes, there's a Phantom at Hendon, but not the unique XT597. It would have been far more appropriate in Cosford's Test Aircraft hangar than some of the questionable exhibits they currently accommodate.