PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul or Short Haul ?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003, 06:11
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Grass Greener?

Hi Jtset25,

At Britannia we do a mix of both LH (15%)and SH.(85%) I'd prefer it to be 50/50 but most of it is with Mytravel (for the moment).

I love longhaul, it gives you the opportunity to actually see the destinations to which you fly and the time in flight to actually enjoy the job. Also as a charter carrier our trips can be up to 10 days long

But....

On our SH there are no nightstops/trips it is all base to base flying so pay in terms of allowances is naturally finite. I actually find short haul (the way we fly it at least) a little bit boring - and when your on your fourth Palma flight of the week you can be thinking to yourself "So I joined this job for the travel!???"

I personally would be very careful about giving up a longhaul position. The grass isn't always greener.

I think two factorswould be at the top of my list:

1. How does the Shorthaul carrier operate? i.e. are there any nightstops/trips? Do they have multisector days like Easyjet or is it 2 sectors and home like the Charters?

2. Could I be hasselled with very quick turnarounds, having to do seat pockets, tight time restraints on a seemingly never ending daily basis?

Maybe you should consider an airline that flies both L and SH. Like Britannia?? We don't fleet the crews so you 'should' get a fair mix of the work.

Take a typical month roster with us:
Week 1: Short haul base to base i.e. MAN-PMI-MAN then go home
Week 2: Short Haul again maybe three canaries (14 hour days) flights
Week 3: A Bullet Sanford(orlando) and two short haul flights
Week 4: 5 day Cancun trip and a Night tenerife.

We do get a nice mix but sometimes you can be gagging for a trip and one never appears!! Then when you do need to be at home you seem to be away constantly.

Swings and Roundabouts.

hope that helps and best of luck with your decision.