PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 12:17
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudreaux Bob
Isn't that exactly what the FTR is designed to facilitate? Assuming One understands the need to reset the Datum to achieve the desired change?

Yes of course it is. However it is not necessarily quite that simple - on the EC225 and 155 with their cyclic follow-up trim, say a rig departure can be flown "against the trims" because the follow-up trim motors the trims to keep the cyclic in trim (although personally, I don't like flying it like that). So a pilot can happily fly a rig departure "against the trims" and it all works out because by the time they get to 40kts they have stopped bothering to fly it and engaged GA. However on the first day when they have 40kts of wind offshore, same profile flown in the same way, the IAS is already above 40kts and so no follow-up trim and a resultant unexpected rearing up when they let go, unless they remember that "This time, I must press the FTR before letting go". That's why a prefer a "1 technique that always works" which is to always press the FTR . Unfortunately I am not in the majority.