PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF pilot vs RN Pilot
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 11:34
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Mick and AA,

One does not need any worthwhile distractions of oh-I-do-want-tobe-beside-the-sea do we?

In all seriousness reading Robert F Dorr's / Robert D Ketchell Wings of Gold - Motorbooks pub circa 1990/1991 following Student Naval Aviators dream predominantly from the then Aviation Officer Candidate School through Aviation indoctrination, Basic In T-34, then Immediate - T-2 Buckeye or T-44 for multi engine and TH-57 for rotary wing and Ta-4J for Advanced and of course it follows the diary and path of a budding NFO who does get his dream of being an A-6E B/N - from him already commissioned through the ROTC.

Anyhow in the chapter on Immediate Strike - when the students going onto the real business of flying fats jets learning in the T-2C Buckeye / - 'Attack Guppy' on the 3rd page above the lovely pics of the SNAs suiting up talks about NAS Kingsville and quote unquote "The newly arrived SNA soon learns that Kingsville, twenty nine miles south of Corpus Christi , is a big and friendly town, tourist town because of the famous King Ranch. Naval aviation is welcome here, but the pressure of flying and book learning will cut into anytime earmarked for the towns one movie or its half-dozen beef cookeries."

@ dig , yep I didn't mention the importance of the NCO be it a W01 or WO2 to see if our buddy would see that it's not all about him but is all about 'leadership' ethos is all about teamwork. No different to a GD aircrew officer in the RAF seeks / talks to say a Flt Sgt or a naval aviator being a ships Flt Cmdr talks / seeks advice from a CPO

I also did not mention the 6 months infantry and Cav attachment following graduation from the Academy because IIrC a mate of mine who ended up flying Gazelles ended 10 years ago did not do his 24 weeks of soldiering because the powers to be decided to change the traditional way and push everyone into flying training straight away those who passed their aptitude and medical.

Cheers