PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting Insured with Crash on Record
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 05:07
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DwayneSmithUSMC:

Perhaps you might contact an insurance broker to consult with rather than an insurance company. Brokers with aviation insurance experience may have knowledge of which underwriters might best serve your needs. I would expect that there are underwriters willing to take you on provided certain training/supervised flying is accomplished. I would also expect the premium to reflect the perceived increased risk, at least for a period of time and/or experience in type is gained. Also consider that complex/high performance aircraft are more problematic to insure with lower time pilots. It may be easier and less expensive to consider a lesser performance airplane if the HP type is too problematic to insure. These are just the kind of issues an experienced aviation insurance broker may be able to address successfully.

A side note: Throughout my aviation career I have known of several pilots who've been able to obtain and maintain aviation insurance coverage following an at fault accident. So don't give up too easily. It has happened to others. While certainly less than an ideal situation, these pilots owned up to what happened and why, learned from it and moved on with their progress as a pilot. It seems from what you've related here that you've already taken the first steps.

Best of success,

westhawk