PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 02:42
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
You are right, the participants on here are knowledgeable about the detail of how it all behaves. That is because they have bothered to find out about it, not because they were born with the knowledge!

I just don't see how "dumbing down" could work. OK it will work for 99% of the time but then, inevitably, circumstances will conspire to cause some automation behaviour to pop up that was hitherto "unknown" due to the dumbing down. Then we have the makings of an accident.

I'm sorry but I really don't see any alternative to pilots being fully aware of all the behaviours that are lurking there and could surface. If they can't hack it they shouldn't be flying these types of helicopters, although in my experience the chances are they could hack it if they just put a bit of time and effort into learning about it and thinking about it during the 6 month gaps between training sessions. I generally found that the folk who really couldn't hack it, couldn't hack manual flying either!

These days pilots get plenty of days off, but there is the rub: With the equal time roster each day on is a pretty long day usually, so no inclination to do any studying after a long double flight. But a day off is a day off and "why should I have to do homework on my days off?". Consequently I do think that the equal time roster, much as I liked it when I was working, is conspiring against pilots attaining and retaining good knowledge of their complex aircraft.
I think you are coming around to very much what I was saying a few pages ago. Each of us is responsible for our own professionalism.

As for all the discussion about trim releases: I would say understand what you are doing, why you chose to do/use what you did, and act accordingly.

For instance: in a cruise at higher speeds in a 76, if we encounter turbulence there is a risk of breaking Vne (or whatever magic number the FDM guys have programmed in for a bollocking that isn't really a bollocking because we are a 'just culture' company). I see all kinds of contradictory responses to handling this simple situation. First, this indicates the guy driving wasn't really paying attention. Second, he isn't sure, because he hasn't considered it, what to do. Personally I just fly against the trim in pitch (contrary to what you were suggesting HC) to contain the speed. I am aware enough to know that if I release the cyclic it will jump so I gently allow it move back to trimmed position when appropriate. I'm also aware that pressing the release will reset the datums for the AP, which is why I chose not to.

And there are other ways to deal with it, and it is situation dependant. Of course.

My point is that all these suggestions for the 'right' way to do it are assuming that the pilot is incapable of understanding the system and making a judgement. My contention is that they are capable, but have chosen not to make the effort. Your final thoughts seem to agree with me HC.

So I think I most agree with 76Heavy. Put aside the absolutes, the one SOP fits all, and just demand professionalism.

BTW HC, I agree completely with your directions about using the kit when you don't need to so that you will be capable when you really need to!!