PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Lose Gatwick Contract (Split thread)
Old 22nd Jul 2014, 10:10
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heathrow Director

I believe that 46 years in the ATM business does qualify me for professional status. If, but only if, some form of non-cooperation with training and or UE examining was forthcoming, technology and Green Field ULEs could be used to mitigate the issue. Simulation is a practical resolution of the problem, but is achievable Ever heard of aircrew type rating zero time simulation?

I know its possible I've done similar many years ago when the SERCO predecessor tried to pull the same non training stunt, fortunately the British Ambassador and government intervention resulted in a few days (yes days!) live training before we took over. Within minutes of taking over watch my first call was "MAYDAY, MAYDAY......" Simulator training paid off and all ended well.

Do not imagine that we will ever see "NATS refuse to train new Gatwick Air Traffic Controllers" in the tabloid headlines. As I said previously, they will have perfected the transition process by the time that Gatwick is handed over. Could even form a transition team, where will it move onto next Aberporth, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester.......?