PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To boat or not to boat?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2014, 09:11
fire wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing Blade, I am sorry but your note 4 is not correct.
Living aboard is not legal. Whilst I agree it is unlikely MARDEP will exercise the legislation I do not want my "retirement fund" subject to a calamitous fall in value should some power freak in MARDEP decide to make a name for himself.

copy of MARDEP enquiry below:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your email.
I regret to inform you that we have no such type of "live aboard" vessel for local licensing. For the type of the vessels, please refer to the Schedule A (Class and Type of Local Vessel) of Chapter 548 D MERCHANT SHIPPING (LOCAL VESSELS) (CERTIFICATION AND LICENSING) REGULATION.
Under the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels)(Dwelling Vessels) Regulation Cap 548A, no person shall use a vessel as a dwelling vessel in Hong Kong waters (except for a small number of dwelling vessels in Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter which were in existence when the legislation was enacted and remain to be cleared) In short, it is not legal for a Class IV vessel to be used solely as a dwelling vessel (a place to live in). However, if one staying on board the vessel is incidental to its use as a pleasure vessel, there is no conflict with the prohibition in using a vessel solely for dwelling purposes.

Best Regards
PS CHIU

Last edited by fire wall; 23rd Jul 2014 at 12:41.