PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Out of date GPS
Thread: Out of date GPS
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2014, 23:20
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Oh dear, Mixture, seems use of the word 'humble' in context of bugsmashers pressed the wrong button, hey? Or are you merely comprehension-challenged, or maybe like TV news editors, you seize on a statement and highlight the part of this that suits your purpose to the exclusion of the full statement?. Where is the violin? In my posts I have firmly advocated having at least ONE current navigation data base. When I fly my homebuilt, I avoid controlled airspace like the pox, so don't accuse me of putting other airspace users at risk. That is why I like the iPad Mini - on my knee I have access to all the IFR and VFR charts for half the world. AND they are current.
The problem I have with CASA is that they will savage a VFR pilot if ANY document or data base found in the aircraft is out of date. So if my WAC was found to have been superseded last month they could prosecute me.
Like distress flares on a boat, just because they expired recently does not mean that they would not be functional for another year or so. But use to get out of danger and only when the 'legal' ones have either failed or been consumed.
IFR is an entirely different matter - all superseded stuff gets thrown overboard or deleted during the monthly update cycle as a matter of course and anyway the Company is paying for that, not me.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 22nd Jul 2014 at 00:21.