PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2014, 21:51
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post FB. A while back, I was having a chat with one of the top drawer CASA FOI's and the subject was raised – in passing – I was interested in that my own 'thoughts' were reflected by the FOI. I forget the name of the report and details now; but it cited the '% loss' of 'knowledge' passed when learning from one with less experience than the original teacher. Sorry if that sounds fluffy, but the research is buried – the gist of it was that if 'you' are taught by a master craftsman almost (for example) 80% of that knowledge will be passed to you. Over time, 'you' will improve and add 'your' knowledge to those lessons, passing this on to the next apprentice, improving and refining the 'original' good training.

The other side of the coin is where the 'masters apprentice' is training the 'new boy'; not only does the trainer not have the 80% basic to pass along; but has had no time on the job to improve and increase the knowledge. Thus the 80% is reduced to 60%, and so on. Until there is only 20% of the original 80% available for distribution. (Example figures only)....

Sorry. I really can't explain it better without reference, I got the idea at the time – but all that remains is the concept. I'm sure some bright spark out there can dredge it up – I thought it valuable at the time and adopted the concept.

Food for thought – just saying...