PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2014, 18:46
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enstrom odds & Ends

As a few PPs will know, I'm an avid supporter of the Enstrom and even after 40 years associated with the type I still enjoy her handling.

The infamous 'fishtailing' really came about when the new sleeker shape was introduced in 1975. Greg Focella was the industrial designer who produced the sleeker 'nose job' which enhanced the types good looks. Greg was also responsible for the new nose on the MD500E. I expect you know a few years back the USA 'Fortune' magazine voted her the best designed product of the year.

I believe the longer nose when associated with the Dorsal & Ventral 'Shark' fin results in the airframe being over directionally stable about the normal axis. It is possible to fly out the random yawing, but over the years, I've just accepted the feature unless I'm flying passengers.

It says something for the type that the Shark is coming up for forty years and the one I'm flying now is still handling well and rotor vibration less than point one ips on the Vibrex.

And as a side note, and in 6,000 type hours I'd not experienced a power failure although my log book indicates around 5000 practice full stop autos. That was until a few weeks back when one cylinder let go on an airfield approach. The passenger wasn't even aware we'd made a 'no-engine' landing. That just one of the reasons I like the old girl. Regards to all. DRK