PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALDERNEY
Thread: ALDERNEY
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2014, 13:47
beaufort1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was nearly correct in my recollection of the colour scheme of Air Sarnia, it was the islander that had the maroon trim. I still have absolutely no recollection of the tri's though.

I agree with the statement that the SOU/ACI is a lifeline and I think that is what is concerning local residents and why approx. 7.5% of the population turned out for the meeting last week. I didn't make the meeting as I had something else on unfortunately. It has been reported in the local press and there is genuine concern about this link being lost.

According to one article I've read the cost of a new tri is half the cost of one of the Dornier's and the overall running costs are also a lot less. The CAA and the European Authority have agreed the new tri's meet the necessary requirements. People are just wondering at some of the reasoning. I've been accused along with other residents of not listening but so far nobody can/will provide us with a breakdown of the £900,000 loss a year the Alderney route is allegedly costing.

Jerbourg where did I say Alderney were losing six tri's? I didn't, having six overall gives you greater flexibility and resilience throughout all your routes. Not all three Dorniers will be used on the Alderney route either; not with the GCI/LCY and the GCI/DIN route having to be serviced.

fudpucker No, sorry, I still can't see how replacing six available aircraft in your fleet with three gives a greater seating capacity. The Dornier will also have to have maintenance and will also have to be taken out of service.
There is drainage work being completed on the grass runway at present. I think in the region of £180k was spent on this work after the heavy rainfall last winter meant the grass runway being closed.
I don't remember there being any objection in regard to aged aircraft when Air UK were using the geriatric Fk27's and Guernsey Airlines using the Viscounts.
The marina should be built by the States, look at the QEII marina in St. Peter Port, don't tell the mooring holders but they have effectively paid for the marina and the QEII car park many times over, and the East arm pontoon provides a useful spill over for larger visiting craft, and is a good source of extra revenue.

In regard to a dwindling population there are steps being taken locally (See here:Living Islands initiative | Alderney ? The Channel Island ) we have all just endured the biggest recession since the 1930's, property sales are reputed to be slowly picking up though, and the island seems noticeably busier; speaking with local builders/trades they are all saying there is more work around.
I wonder also at what has changed re some of the routes no longer with us and why they are no longer profitable? The populations of both Guernsey and Jersey have increased since the introduction and axing of routes to Cherbourg and the Dinard route cut back. Cherbourg has a significant population and I would think second home ownership in France is as popular amongst CI residents as ever despite the efforts of the French Government with recent tax developments. Speaking of routes, the rot in regards to numbers dwindling on the SOU/ACI leg seems to be halting and I think there was a small increase reported in the first few months of this year.

Demographics and work practices are constantly changing. The census carried out in April 2013 revealed there were 1900 of us living here. Perhaps with the advent of the internet and video conferencing people no longer need to travel as much for the purposes of business, who knows. All the Channel Islands are feeling the pinch in regard to tourist numbers, in part due no doubt to the low cost airlines and destinations to warmer climes, although saying that Jersey are reporting better numbers this season, and is it coincidence that Easy jet are now flying there?