PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differences between flying in NZ and Australia
Old 21st Jul 2014, 08:55
flyingkea

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello,
Some of the main differences I've found:
Maintenance releases, in australia they must be signed every day before the first flight. (Or if signed by a PPL then before each flight) In NZ i seem to remember barely glancing at the tech log before flight. (And woe betide anyone who wrote in it - you might defect/ground the aircraft *gasp* )

CAO 48 flight and duty times.
Not sure what sort of work you would be doing, but as a destructor, I'd read the Day VFR syllabus.

The pilot award - over here in aus we actually get paid a wage. This document sets out minimum wages etc and what you are entitled to for different work.

They have aircraft endorsements over here, and design feature endorsements. So for example I could theoretically train in an arrow then be allowed to fly all aircraft below 5700kg, that may or may not have a CSU. (In practice though, most operators will want you to prove you can fly it before sending you off by yourself)

Weather information - BOM is a good forecasting site, kinda like our metservice. For TAFs, ARFORs etc go to NAIPs (airservices)

Over here the documents include the ERSA (in some respects like the AIP. The AIP (which in all honesty I don't think I've used operationally), Jeppersons, country airstrip guide. Maps - depending on where you are as to what you use, but it does seem strange at first to be navigating off a WAC (1:1000000) I remember in NZ being told off for using a 1:500000 as "it didn't have enough detail."

Navigating - no more track crawling, you really need to use dead reckoning, 1:60's out here.

Haven't seen a low flying zone in West Aus, and no, you may not go below 500' on a PFL. (Flwop)

These are the main things I have encountered when I came over, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to