PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM - Argumentative copilots
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2014, 07:17
flyboy_nz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM - Argumentative copilots

Hello everyone,

As the title states. I had an issue recently in flight with a copilot. He was the PF and he's coming close to upgrade. We are a small single-engine ops company.

The issue was small in regards to best flight path to take to maintain VMC while descending towards our destination. We both had different points of view but the copilot hadn't thought of a couple of 'what ifs'. As I suggested to the copilot about the other option, I also mentioned about the what ifs. Upon doing so, the copilot starting defending his decision saying he would decide what do to when he had got to that point and if it didn't work out as he had planned he would have turned around and tried my way. I felt that this was leaving matters a bit late and I tried to explain to the copilot that he needs to think far more ahead than that. We were still above sterile cockpit altitude and I was keeping an eye on the aircraft. Meanwhile, the copilot got upset (body language and tone of voice gave it away). He eventually said that we shall not talk about this anymore and we can talk about it on the ground. I said yes that's fine. On the ground, it was the same story so I gave up.

Usually as PF, I prefer asking the copilot for his/her input and then make the decision and then I give the reason. I expect the copilots to do the same while they are acting as PF. The ultimate responsibility lies with me, so if the decision they make is unsafe, I show them why and I usually try to make them come up with the better decision or I show it to them.

I have spoken to the training manager about the issue but I have not mentioned the copilot's name. We do get provided with CRM training but it is not up to the same standard as the big airlines. So, if the gentlemen/ladies who fly the jets could chip in as to how to handle these situations better, it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards