PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Out of date GPS
Thread: Out of date GPS
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2014, 21:53
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
In Australia we have a regulatory regime which is very punitive. CASA turn up at fly-ins and air shows and make a big issue of ramp checks. Humble VFR single engine aircraft, including homebuilts, are targeted.
Woe betide any unfortunate pilot caught using any navigation data or charts that are out of date.
It is now so bad that many of us no longer attend these events.
I am not a child of the magenta line but I do believe that if you are going to use GPS it is a good idea to also have a position-enabled iPad with a suitable navigation program. My iPad maps are always updated, because the subscription covers it and the update process is easy. I don't find Garmin so user friendly to update and it costs more, so that has now become my secondary means of navigation. If CASA come looking the Garmin will go in my back pocket and I will trot out a paper WAC.
Flying with no autopilot and trying to pick your way through terrain with just a paper chart is a mandatory skill to learn for the day when the electronics let you down, and in clear weather I still map read for practice.
But when the weather is marginal VFR, map reading is nowhere near as safe as using good electronic methods, allowing the pilot to concentrate on flight control and look out.
So, if you are hiring, at least one of your navigation goodies needs to be up to date if only because they build nasty things like power lines which may not be on those old paper charts.