PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LFAT ILS approach plates?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2003, 23:46
Thrifty van Rental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes indeed Mr Donkeys!

Flying a scheduled service the other day into a large Northern French airport, we were rather surprised to find ourselves behind two English Pipers making cheap ILS approaches under VFR. After struggling for a little bit, the controller had to tell them to leave the zone under VFR to allow us in. The biggest part of the problem for us is to try to explain things in English over the radio, when they are not part of the standard RT phraseology. I am sure there are ways in which the VFR traffic could have remained near the hold, but the controller simply could not explain things to them clearly enough for them to understand. All he knew was that the pilots were not really allowed to accept an IFR clearance, so he could not guarantee the separation.

It would help if somebody really explained the IMC rating to our controllers. Whenever I talk to them about English people who are allowed to fly IFR in England but not in France, and still insist on flying our ILS in VMC under VFR they become confused and emotional. I can sympathise with them