PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2014, 17:24
GemDeveloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxiety About Wasting Beer

I have experimented over a good few years with 'chicken on a beer tin', and, indeed on a frame like Akrotiri 71 illustrated... and also with duck on a beer tin (recommended in a long-previous post, as the fat gently drips away, leaving one with a beautifully moist bird with that hint of smoky flavour). I even save small ginger ale tins and half fill them with amber brew before inserting into the chook frame.

And... I have not confined my experiments to beer, having tried a modest volume of a suitably robust red...

I am going to say that I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what one uses, and I have now reverted to, guess what, water, and keep the beer for moi... it seems to me that the flavour in one's meat comes from the rub and the braai fire... and the main function of the beer tin is to provide a reservoir of steam which keeps the meat beautifully moist from inside.

Anyone else tried just using water and keeping the beer for one's own insides rather than those of the steaming bird over the fire?