PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is "some time away, not a ban" a ban?
Old 20th Jul 2014, 11:42
Capvermell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can select the frequency at which you want to receive update emails. Mine are set to daily and I get them around 0700Z, one email for each thread to which I have chosen to subscribe.
Well that is not how almost any other internet discussion forum works and it is not what is suggested when you subscribe for "Instant Email Notification" as precisely the same term is used by most other internet forums and they work the way I expect them to instead of the highly eccentric undisciplined manner that this forum chooses to do.

If a thread is only moderately active, and I have the time, then I want to look at it and make a response not long after someone else just responded to my post or another member's new post in the thread. I don't want to have to wait till breakfast next day to comment (when the thread may have moved on several pages). But if I am a subscribed to a thread with up to 40 posts an hour going on I clearly only want to visit it at some point that is convenient to me (that may be in another two or three hour's time or longer) once there has been at least one new post in it but I don't want to get another 150 post update emails for that one thread in my inbox over the intervening period.

It seems odd to me that a forum run by a load of technically expert co-pilots and captains (who are generally highly intolerant of opinions on a subject here from anyone who they see as not being as technically knowledegeable about flying as they are) and who are qualified to push a metal box with 500+ people in it round the sky don't seem to be able to configure their own forum to run to the same technical standards as that favoured by 90%+ of the rest of other online internet web discussion forums including those using VBulletin forum software.