PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2014, 09:09
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Resorting to the red inserts!

Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
HC - Thank you for your last post. However we were discussing optimum use of the Autopilot. Whilst I enjoyed your mild rant about the console HMI we cannot fix everything in one day or track all those issues on one thread.

We were also discussing the OEM's input to creating operating procedures and I was illustrating why that was fraught. The AH-F guys at the conference (Gilles and Rupert) fully agree with me.

Come and see me and I will show you very graphically why flying manually with GA deployed can lead to very unsafe flight paths!

Flying manually with GA deployed can cause an unsafe flight path, as the thread subject clearly shows, but only if the FTRs are not depressed on cyclic and collective. If your simulator can show me that your above statement is true with the FTRs depressed, then there is something wrong with your simulator.

FYI - 14k offshore in S61, 322, 332L2 and EC225. No OPSAR but I do help SAR pilots to transition to the EC225 SAR.

Yes I know you have lots of experience, I was just unsure whether you had left CHC before flying the 225 operationally.

Your description of pressing the FTR in HOV or GSPD modes is flawed. Again I will show you why.

OK things are getting a bit complicated here but I never said to fly HOV or GSPD (or GTC) with the FTR pressed. I said they were routinely flown-through - (without pressing FTR, sorry I didn't specify that) - in those modes the FTR can have another function eg setting the datum groundspeed to the current groundspeed. Just re-reading my previous post I have put a sentence into grey since it is not really the full picture, but the full picture is a bit too complicated to explain here.

HC - pressing the FTR is not the optimum way to make a turn unless flying NOE military style. I disagree in the case of visual manoeuvring to takeoff or land, or during an autorotation entry - which are just about the only times you would want to fly it manually. (once settled in Auto, select IAS mode!)

Not sure if you have any experience of military applications. None However the best way in offshore environment is to do it coupled with HDG when a heading is required. I agree, if you want to fly it using the automation, but we are surely talking about the case where you don't? The alternative to this is to trim into the turn. This works very well in mixed mode as it does not interfere with the longitudinal channal and whatever is installed thereon. Too slow and clumsy - much better to use HDG beeped by cyclic trim. If there is a concern about maintaining the longitudinal attitude (night, poor vis etc) one should coupled 4 axis. Pressing the FTR is an acceptable practice during a VMC approach in the latter stages where trimming is no longer happening fast enough. So we are pretty much in agreement, it is just a matter of what you mean by the latter stages!

This subject is. Two hour brief and flight in SIM 1 of our syllabus. Specifically to get these concepts hammered home before anything else. The 5 methods f operating in ATT, hoe to do each one and when each is appropriate. Systems approach to flight training.

Agreed. Of course all our early convertees were diff course ex 332L /L2 so much of the trimming concepts carry over, but when I wrote the type rating course for the new recruits we certainly had to add a big chunk on the basics of the various trimming techniques. You can't progress until you have mastered that bit!

DB

DB

Last edited by HeliComparator; 20th Jul 2014 at 09:20.