PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2014, 07:16
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
HC - Thank you for your last post. However we were discussing optimum use of the Autopilot. Whilst I enjoyed your mild rant about the console HMI we cannot fix everything in one day or track all those issues on one thread.

Come and see me and I will show you very graphically why flying manually with GA deployed can lead to very unsafe flight paths!

FYI - 14k offshore in S61, 322, 332L2 and EC225. No OPSAR but I do help SAR pilots to transition to the EC225 SAR. Your description of pressing the FTR in HOV or GSPD modes is flawed. Again I will show you why.

HC - pressing the FTR is not the optimum way to make a turn unless flying NOE military style. Not sure if you have any experience of military applications. However the best way in offshore environment is to do it coupled with HDG when a heading is required. The alternative to this is to trim into the turn. This works very well in mixed mode as it does not interfere with the longitudinal channal and whatever is installed thereon. Pressing the FTR is an acceptable practice during a VMC approach in the latter stages where trimming is no longer happening fast enough. This subject is. Two hour brief and flight in SIM 1 of our syllabus. Specifically to get these concepts hammered home before anything else. The 5 methods f operating in ATT, hoe to do each one and when each is appropriate. Systems approach to flight training.

DB

DB

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 20th Jul 2014 at 07:56.