PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK DEFO A380 requirements
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2014, 03:41
JuniorMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry gents, going to balance a few points here.

Firstly training. This, in my opinion, has improved slowly but surely over the last 10 years, particularly since MM arrived. There has been more of a 'training' culture rather than checking and poor instructors/examiners have been removed. If you do your work and can fly a plane, you pass the sim. To balance that, there are a few mavericks still, the worst ironically being in standards. I'm also no great fan of the head of Boeing training. His previous incumbent was far more approachable and fair. I also worry for the future somewhat with the VP of training. When he was head of this department years ago, he left his mark by cutting his budget year on year, the focus being on saving money rather than quality of training. If he supersedes MM, things will definitely deteriorate.

Second point is salary. By all means not the overriding factor for job satisfaction, far from it but we are relatively well compensated. We have to work for that most definitely but compared to other wide body airline packages, it's a bloody good take home. Here's example of 9 year line Captain as an average, no training;

Basic 45,000
housing 16,000
Flight pay 4,000 (averaged out over 1 year)

That comes in at 65,000 per month. I've not include education as it's free in some countries but for some here that send up to three children to boarding schools, it can be a massive help. There's also 12-15% Company contribution not included. Some aspects of Dubai can be expensive. others less so. Petrol is 1/5 the price compared to UK. With transport provided, you can also manage easily on 1 car. It depends what your lifestyle demands.

So, 65,000 dirhams or $17,800 per month. £10,800. If you're in Company provided then you've no bills and nothing to pay so it's swings and roundabouts. After tax, there are very few airlines out there offering such an accessible package. That's why guys stay. They do the math and it doesn't make sense. Fleet type does, however, make a significant difference in QOL issues.

Finally, I also dispute the fart and you're fired attitude, especially since JA has replaced the talking horse. There have been no unreasonable dismissals in recent times. Those that have gone have been asked to resign. They were given a choice but they accepted it because they knew they were in the wrong. If you go to work, do it professionally and to your best ability, you'll be left alone. 95% of guys manage to do that every flight.

So, in essence, perfect it isn't but as an overall package it's pretty good. My concern, though, is shared regarding the future. The problem is that individuals, such as TCAS, has his own agenda. It's a frigging big package he's on and he's not likely to surrender it over moral principles. Without a union, we are slave to the decisions of a few and it's very much a take it or leave it scenario. The hour requirement will, in my opinion, continue to decrease. This will, in effect, keep the supply and demand in balance. My biggest gripe is that our flight ops is driven by Service Delivery. Briefing crew STD - 83 minutes is now the norm, crew are rushing or missing important information to facilitate bus departure at -75. That's 15 minutes before we officially report!

I'll bet next years pay rise that the -75 becomes the new norm after we get back to 2 runway operations. That's when TCAS needs to stand up and support his own department, not Service Delivery!

Harry
Great post. IMHO, EK is one of the best airline jobs in the world. I am a CA at a US legacy. I regularly fly over 90 hours a month, multiple legs a day, red-eyes very frequently, and I probably gross near what an EK pilot takes home. It took 10 years just to get to reserve narrow body CA based out of NYC. Reserve WB CA takes at least 25 years, so it is nowhere in sight. American pilots who are thinking of coming back, think twice.