PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Waddington show - what happens now?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 19:54
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
What I did notice at Waddington this year was the parking, was it the Japanese Army that had been hired or were they Ghurkhas? I don't mean to get the two confused but they certainly seemed to be quite well organised as was the carparking. The soft Khaki peaked caps had me thinking of Bridge on the river Kwai or Too Late the Hero! One more point here about R.A.F. airshows today and yesterday, this was another indication of how so few R.A.F. personnel are actually employed in any visible role. Back in they olden days it would be all R.A.F. personnel in No. 1 dress uniform doing everything. For quite a few years now everything seems to have slid down the scale of the standard which set the R.A.F. at home day apart from the indistinguishable commercial out door event look of now. What with all R.A.F. personnel that are seen least ways, dressed what some would describe as appropriately I'm sure, in camouflage or flying suits incongruously topped off with hi-vis tabs.

As an old ex-National Serviceman and family friend once said to me when examining my boots while I was in the A.T.C. turning to my father he said, "see this Jim, you don't hear the sound of marching boots any longer eh!"

FB