PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 19:31
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
HC - firstly we are more aligned than you think. Secondly they are not "My" modes. It's the way the system is set up.

I do not disagree with you BUT a pilot who finds it necessary to "Fly Through" the upper modes by pressing the trim release is simply defeating the object of engaging them in the first place. I absolutley agree that if the flight path becomes unsafe, coupled, one quick method to correct is to trim release, but I personally prefer to correct the origin of such errors by ensuring the pilot understands the behaviour of the upper modes in first place.

It is a nonsense to engage upper modes and then disable the autopilot by pressing the trim release. This is not in any manual not recommended by the OEM.

Stick and Trim I agree completely and in fact never use this myself but I show pilots it is there and add my views as to its relevance. Nevertheless it is a recognised method of attitude modulation.

HC - the bit I struggle to understand is why you believe holding the cyclic trim depressed is a stable condition, especially if IMC. It has a role VMC but in IMC it effectively sacks four digital lanes of ATT feeding off two AHRS in favour of the pilot and his skills. Surely we have by now accepted how limited those skills are if we explore the sticky bits of the flight envelope.

This should not be a debate about what can be done or indeed how we all do it. It should be a debate on the " Optimum" use of the AP. with the Trim pressed only SAS remains and that can never be regarded as optimum. The training mission is to develop CONSISTANT behaviours that will serve us well when we are tired, in the dark and maybe a little distracted. Maximum use of ATT and coupled modes. Planned and executed correctly there should be no requirement to interfere with the AP as it delivers the commanded flight path.

One more point. This OEM does have the expertise in Offshore Operations. There are four of us at least with a combined total of 80 years offshore experience amongst other environments. We certainly do not have all the answers but we are determined to provide the best information and guidance we can on the optimum use of the products.