PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 17:35
Akrotiri71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smudge

Originally Posted by Smudge
Did a double sitting chicken yesterday. One wore Bud, the Other Stowford Press. Both done at the same time, we and our guests could detect no distinct flavours from either, except that the Stowford did appear to have more moist breast meat. I am now debating whether our lack of lumpwood, and use of the emergency briquettes could have masked any subtlety. Not a problem, we are already planning a repeat test, using proper charcoal, with the same guests. Three good tries so far, and every one a winner as they say, a great way to cook a treat. Thanks to all on this thread who introduced me to the delights.
This article might be of interest to you, with regards to the lack of detecting any distinct taste. Makes perfect sense.

Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer

Looking at the chook holder you have, it looks to me that you could put a cut-down beer can in the bottom so the top of it is just below the stop ring. Slide the chook to the stop-ring at the bottom, thus exposing the beer can to your heat source, and hopefully it will boil the beer/wine etc., and infuse the chook. Just a thought.

Edit: I'm currently doing a beer-can chook, on an infuser. I put some hickory wood chips in boiling water for half hour. Then put the hot water into the infuser. Let's see what happens.