PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two questions to all you experienced pilots or engineers.
Old 19th Jul 2014, 09:36
kingRB

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Wrong. The only place the engine gets fuel from is the FCU. That fuel is always "metered". The difference with EPL use is in how the metering is done. Your statement could be considered correct in a functional sense, but that functional sense tends to imply that the EPL is providing fuel by an alternative source that exists alongside the normal source - hence the idea by the OP that you can get extra fuel via the EPL, and this is wrong.
So you want to argue semantics now , but on the premise I apparently don't know much about how a PT6 works...

As I just said, the EPL system bypasses the fuel metering section of the FCU. Since you need me to clarify this: It does so by directly controlling the fuel metering valve. If fuel is being sent to the engine that is not being governed by the metering system in the FCU, then I believe that would pretty much make it "unmetered".

Hence the warnings by the manufacturer to ensure you do not have the EPL anywhere other than in the normal position when starting or operating the engine under normal conditions. It's possibly sending more fuel to the manifolds than what the FCU would normally be doing by itself.

In hindsight looking at my original post, I should have said "allowing" instead of "adding"... I'm so glad you picked up on the crucial error.

So, what this all means is that you can use the power lever to exceed normal engine limits and get that extra power. No need to use the EPL
None of which you've addressed above provides any evidence that the EPL will not provide extra power if used in conjunction with the NPL which has been firewalled.

Again, the manufacturers warnings would suggest that it can.

BTW, still awaiting the explanation on how the PT6 doesn't have any manifolds...