PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALDERNEY
Thread: ALDERNEY
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 07:28
beaufort1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, I'm not whinging, I and others I've spoken to fail to see how 6 Tri's replaced by 3 Dorniers will give better flexibility and resilience. You are still losing capacity however you dress it up, it's basic mathematics. When a Dornier goes tech. there is going to be one of the routes without any cover.The Law of Sod dictates that will happen at the most inconvenient time, e.g. during Alderney Week. I heard their brand new £25m Embraer was taken out of service this week due to technical problems, right at the start of the school holidays, another example of the Law of Sod at work. I'm not Aurigny bashing, they have provided an excellent service in my opinion over the years and they certainly go the extra mile on the LGW/GCI route getting passengers back to Guernsey if there have been delays due to weather for example.
I agree with you that there is probably only enough capacity for one airline on the Alderney route, although recently I see that there is a French company advertising flights on an ad hoc basis and is based in Cherbourg I think.
I'm not sure what the arrangement will be in regard to medivacs, I think at present a Tri is based in Alderney overnight, haven't both Guernsey and Jersey recently signed a contract with a dedicated Air Ambulance based on the South coast of the UK fairly recently, Exeter possibly. I don't know how that fits in with things.

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you think Alderney is only worth a visit for a day, you probably haven't explored much further than the harbour or the main town. I wasn't envisaging UK owners basing their yachts in Alderney, that has been tried in St.Peter Port and there hasn't been a great take up, even with hugely discounted rates throughout the Winter. A sheltered marina with proper facilities makes Alderney more attractive for visitors, not everybody wants to roll all night on a swinging mooring and it can be uncomfortable with the wind in the NE.