PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broken down in France
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2014, 04:02
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I hope that Piperboy has found airworthiness, and a safe trip home. That said, I suggest caution against recommendations for repair which does not conform to the specified maintenance practice for the aircraft, or worse operating it with known unservicabilities, without knowing the implications of doing that.

In Canada, the applicable regulation says:

Unserviceable and Removed Equipment — Aircraft without a Minimum Equipment List

605.10 (1) Where a minimum equipment list has not been approved in respect of the operator of an aircraft, no person shall conduct a take-off in the aircraft with equipment that is not serviceable or that has been removed, where that equipment is required by
  • (a) the standards of airworthiness that apply to day or night VFR or IFR flight, as applicable;
  • (b) any equipment list published by the aircraft manufacturer respecting aircraft equipment that is required for the intended flight;
For Piperboy's aircraft, the Type Certificate Data Sheet says:

Equipment The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable
airworthiness regulations (see certification basis) must be installed in the aircraft for certification. In addition, the following items of equipment are

required:
(A) Stall Warning Indicator, Maule drawing 6016F
I would expect that the stall warning, in addition to many other systems, would require electricity, and no, just a well charged battery does not meet the requirement.

Yes, some aircraft types are permitted operation with some failed systems, and yes, some don't even have electricity, so no problem for them. However, most aircraft require it - not optional for takeoff.

The battery of a certified aircraft will have demonstrated the capacity to run a selected portion of the electrical system for 30 minutes, but maybe not much more. When I did a electrical load analysis of a Cessna Caravan, I found that from the factory, the amount of time the battery would continue to operate the minimum required systems beyond 30 minutes was 40 more seconds.

The internet affords us the opportunity to discuss things, which perhaps should be discussed with great reserve. Most certified aircraft dispatched with inoperative electrics would not meet the Type Certificate, and thus be legally unairworthy. This has serious insurance implications, particularly if an accident is in any way associated with the defect.

Sorry to be the writer of doom, and I wish the best for Piperboy, and those who have a breakdown away, but we do voluntarily fly the aircraft bound by regulation. I would not want to be on record here as promoting bypassing the regulations. Can I say that every flight I have flown was in a perfectly airworthy aircraft? Nope! But I'm not discussing the details here!

I have a long trip (40 hours of flying) next week. Several components I could possibly need are in my workshop, packaged, and ready to ship to me wherever, should I have a failure, and require a replacement along the way. (The most likely is a tailwheel assembly!) For those who fly long flights, having access to some common spares, and the means to re and re them, is worth consideration. This is one benefit of a teamwork club group, so you're not on your own....