PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 23:33
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don’t often jump into a position of “waxing philosophic” … but there are times when I fall victim to just exactly that. So, with apologies to all who may believe it necessary to be apologetic ...

I’ve never been one for deliberately kicking dirt on someone else’s ethnicity, nationality, religious beliefs, their occupational “position” or rank, or even their preferences in food and/or beverage … but all the respectful attitudes and the politeness that may govern verbal or physical responses to whatever someone else does, does not do, says, or does not say … are way down on my priority list when it comes to staying alive! It would, I would think, be appropriate for someone to review not only the training program content, but also review and understand how the provisions of such a program are conducted and how assurance is achieved that the students going through that program actually demonstrate their competency. If there is any potential for students to be provided “cheat sheets” or be provided “foot stompers” during the training, on which those students could then depend to achieve a “passing” score, someone should exercise the discretion to disallow that to continue.

And, of course, if the actual pilot training includes a dependence on subtle hints, or small control inputs on dual-control airplanes, intended to prevent an otherwise lackluster performance by any student pilot – at any point in that pilot’s career – we should all recognize that someone simply HAS to point out that this attitude is a huge disservice to that pilot … and may be paving the way, or greasing the skids, for that pilot to wind up being the first one to the accident scene. THAT isn’t helping that pilot, nor the passengers and crew who might be serving with that pilot when he (or she) gets into one of those situations where his (or her) training had to be supplemented with hints, or gouges, or cheat sheets. In the real world, there won’t be anyone who can, or will, provide those factors.

Before anyone rolls their eyes too much … I fully understand the hierarchy that is entrenched in some societies … but even there, it is very likely that someone understands when and where acknowledging and conforming to that hierarchy is appropriate, and where adherence to such hierarchy is potentially disastrous. Any organization that, for whatever reason, denies the logic of such understanding, should not be authorized to engage in activities where such adherence could result in those disastrous consequences.

Yes, yes, I know the arguments against such a statement. I am fully aware of the cultural aspects that are more seriously ingrained in the psychological makeup of some persons. And, I am fully aware of the challenges that present themselves were this position to be attempted to be applied and enforced. But, I think that the simple knowledge that these propensities exist should be reason enough for concerned professionals to combine their energies to come up with a solution … or at least a stop-gap process or method to mitigate the kinds of tragedies that have been seen, and are apparently (at least in my limited scope) on the increase.

No … I am certainly not saying that whatever can be done would be easily accomplished. But, rather than stand around the smoking hole, kicking dirt with the toes of our shoes, and lamenting what has happened, yet again … certainly the amount of knowledgeable, committed, and innovative professionals we have in this business should be able to come up with a “plan” on how to educate pilots … of all backgrounds, cultural differences, religious and other differing beliefs … that competency simply MUST be achieved and simply because one grew up the son of the village chief, or for that matter, the daughter of that chief, doesn’t necessarily mean that individual will assimilate the necessary skill sets AND, I think, most critically, understand whether or not he (or she) has the necessary understanding to know if he (or she) really does have a mastery of those skills.

Landing the airplane, each time, every time, regardless of the winds, rain, runway conditions, etc. is not always the best of decisions – sometimes (not all the time … but certainly some of the time) a decision to “go around” is the very best professionally determined decision that could be made … and no one should ever feel any less professional for recognizing when the circumstances are either beyond their capabilities, or at least questionable. The professional participants in aviation should pool their collective understandings and make sure that this philosophy becomes the bedrock on which ALL pilot training and evaluation must rest …and no, I don’t have a recommendation right now about how to do that … but someone might … and others may reach that point … but only IF they try!

Before anyone jumps down my throat for speaking this way … I’m not saying that “us smarter folks” should go in and “lay down the law” to those “lesser smarter folks.” But I think a mutual participation in determining the causes of such inattentive or speculative accidents should be the topic of multicultural discussions that address the reasons and the solutions. Those who have been … and I’ll say “victimized” … by their belief systems, will be able to understand and accept the logical corrective attitudes ONLY IF they are integrally involved in determining the causes and the potential solutions.

They have to recognize the validity and OWN the responsibility for coming to the conclusions that are the correct conclusions. Perhaps one of the ways in which such an understanding might be achieved may be through a sports analogy – and by that I mean critically pointing out how a specific person – whether basketball, hockey, soccer (football, to some), or almost any other sport that can point to some clearly good players. If you talk to those players, they’ll likely be the first to point out that it is their teammates that allow them to “look” like the hero. Of course they are quite good – maybe none better – but I think each one would easily point to their teammates as those who are regularly instrumental in achieving the success they each enjoy …and they are invariably correct.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 20th Jul 2014 at 04:54.