PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALDERNEY
Thread: ALDERNEY
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 22:05
fudpucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at the prices charged by French marinas and you'll see why they are busy places. If you live in the South Coast of the UK then you can take your car on the ferry to Cherbourg, stock up with still cheaper than UK supermarket wine and food , fill your car with cheaper diesel (assuming it is a diesel, of course) and still be better off than basing the boat in a marina in the S UK. What has Alderney to offer to compete with that? Zilch, frankly. At best visiting boats will stay one, perhaps two nights unless weather-bound. Sorry and all that, I quite like Alderney as a place to visit for a day and a night but any longer? Can't see it and I haven't met anybody who lives in the UK who wants to base their boat in Alderney. By all means invest in some more mooring buoys and most people agree the water taxi is reasonable value but anything else? Nah!

I don't quite follow your comment about one aircraft being in two places at once. I imagine that one Dornier will do the LCY run and one other will be allocated to ACI routes. I would guess that the LCY aircraft will then do a Dinard rotation on appropriate days. If/when all three Dorniers do arrive then that would leave one spare aircraft so I'm sorry, but for the life of me I simply cannot see what all the wingeing is about, nor can I see where there is any room for confusion. My understanding is that Aurigny have stated that rotations to SOU will not be reduced, ergo there will be more seats on offer...really, it can't be much simpler than that. Per sector, there will be five more seats on offer to SOU using the Dornier. If Aurigny cut the number of Dornier rotations to three every day, then you would still be 2 seats better off than 4 rotations in a Tri.
The figures look like this: 3 rotations = 6 sectors. 19 seats per sector =114 seats on a 3 rotation Dornier day.
A tri on 4 rotations (8 sectors) =14x8= 112
So a Dornier on 3X rotations ACI -SOU=114 seats in total
And a Tri on 4x rotations ACI-SOU=112 seats
114-112=2.
but if they maintain the current schedules then on a four-rotation day you will have 40 more seats than at present.
4x rotations in the Tri=8x14=112 seats (4 rotations = 8 sectors, remember?)
4x rotations in the Dornier= 8x19=152 seats

So bearing in mind those figures and I'm not going to apologise for so labouriously spelling them out, somebody obviously had to, what the hell are all the complaints about? You will get more seats, a faster more comfortable aircraft and for those worried about it, two pilots. I have no idea what the medivac arrangements will be, except I am certain that whatever the States say they want Aurigny to provide, Aurigny will provide. If you're worried about Aurigny having a monopoly, ask BI why they pulled out of Alderney and if you can find him, ask Brian Rayward why he sold Air Sarnia. Routes to and from Alderney can only support one carrier, and then only just!