PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to do PPL training: big airport or small airfield?
Old 8th May 2003, 20:20
grow45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew gliders from Portmoak for many years before doing a JAR PPL with Edinburgh Flying Club (and am still a member there) so they are used to converting glider pilots to power.

I have seen holds of 15 -20 minutes at Edinburgh - both on the ground and in the air - but the ATC chaps and chapesses are usully very good about trying to slot you in as soon as they can. Also RWY12/30 (the old main runway) is often used and is right beside EFC parking so can save some time (but not at the moment as it is being used to park aircraft while they resurface the GAT).

EFC training is excellent and mixing it with serious commercial traffic in Class D airspace has certainly given me a lot of confidence (but not so as to be cocky about it) and I think my RT is up to scratch as well as a result.

Comparison of rates may be slightly deceptive as EDI landing fees are £13 a time whereas I think they are included at Fife. There is no circuit training at Edinburgh and it is done at Fife/Cumbernauld so transit time has to be taken into account but it is all part of the learning experience and can be used to practise other things.

Also factor into your calculations the cost of getting to Fife (both time and money) assunming you live in Edinburgh. I live 5 mins from EDI which to a large extent swung it for me.

PM me if you want to know more

Grow45

Last edited by grow45; 8th May 2003 at 23:40.