PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two questions to all you experienced pilots or engineers.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 16:41
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that first useful bit of info there bluesky People do make mistakes.

Take for example my current part of the world.
Take off on a down sloping runway, manage to get to flying speed and get airborne only to find that you have been overloaded for that strip due to someone lying on the weights on the manifest.
You find that you cannot outclimb the rising terrain nor maneuver left or right due to mountains either side of you.

Or a more realistic example, you are at max landing weight into a strip that is at 7,000ft. A aircraft or solid object like a car or truck enters the runway and you go around and try to climb up the valley with hills all around you. You can't outclimb the rising terrain.

There is ALWAYS exceptions to the rules and events that take place in aviation that we CANNOT plan for. I'm sure in your 1000's of hours of flying, you have had one or two events where things did not go as planned. If not, then you have had a very lucky career thus far.

As for the feathered prop thing, thats exactly what I was looking for.
Although I'm not sure about flipping the aircraft? I've heard that instead of that it ends up snapping crankshafts and tearing engines from engine mounts.
People are trying to save engines by feathering the prop before impact but end up doing a lot more damage structurally.
I know that I for one once had a young instructor try to tell me it was better to feather before the accident to try and save the engine if you can.