PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL pilot, 2 controllers face charges over near-miss
Old 8th May 2003, 19:33
I. M. Esperto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the reply from my friend living in Japan. He is a linguist fluent in Japanese and Chinese.

" Aircrew in most Asian countries are held on criminal charges even in the slightest incidents. Japan is the most egregious example. Being a potential criminal is a stigma of the profession.
There is no such thing as an "accident", and CRIMINAL responsibility is always adjudicated.
The even try aircrew posthumously just to rectify the universe.
Japan is basically a ground (railway and real estate/construction) based, non-air minded and anti-aviation society, see the old piece "Why Japan is Not an Air Power" (1940) for the reason.
The anti-Aviation Law of 1937 is still basically in effect, sharply limiting private flying incidently.
I have posted many protests to this old practice.
In the malaysian Air accident at Fukuoka, the injured flight crew were held incommunicado and raked over the coals in a hospital police ward.
Any forced landing in japan becomes a major incident with a criminal investigation, press coverage etc."

Notice, and take heed.