PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:55
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NutLoose,

I don't doubt your frustration at there being, perhaps, the perception that Viking/Vigilant are being treated the same way as Voyager. The truth of the matter is that, from an airworthiness point of view, Viking/Vigilant are no different than that of Voyager. The same airworthiness principle's are applied to each and every platform.

When there isn't a published repair scheme within the maintenance documentation then you'll, no doubt, now have to jump through many MAA hoops involving the unequivocal report from an Engineering Officer in outlining a suitable repair scheme.

I do recall, many years ago, witnessing many repairs to the primary structure of RAFGSA aeroplanes that were, in every respect, a work of art. The woodworking skills of some of those guys were second to none. I don't doubt that you have many similarly talented folk. However, that's not the issue. The issue is having a clear and concise directive of what can and what cannot be repaired, and, that it's within the accordance of the maintenance manual.

From the military perspective, it matters not what might be in place for the repair of civil light aeroplanes, because there are clear directives in place driven by the Military Regulatory Authority relating to Repair & Maintenance.

I tend to disagree with your view that maintenance will now be driven by budget and not safety. The VGS has now been funded to 2025 and, most certainly, any suggestion that a budget will override the safety case should ring alarm bells far and wide.

The downside of this particular mess has, of course, impacted upon all of those young folk who were expectant of doing some gliding this summer. Last summer was extremely wet and miserable, but this year has seen some fantastic gliding weather... which further exasperates those who want to get on with the business of flying.

All the best of luck in the return to flight programme.