PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:31
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF Pilot

Slow down a bit. A somewhat more measured approach should be considered. You can show an early interest in aviation without seeming desparate! Remember, you are also going to be an officer.
Work out your preferences in order, eg RAAF pilot, Navy pilot, Army pilot, then work out your non pilot aircrew list. If you don't know the order of your preferences, you won't know how to ask them to re-consider when they suggest you start off as a guard and apply for pilot training later.
Many of my navigators first applied for pilot positions and only a few got pilot training years later. Very few Stores Clerks made pilot, though I do know one.
Take care though. If you fail the course, the RAAF has traditionally offered a discharge. The navy and army might not be like that. You should previously research your alternatives. At my interview in 1962, they asked if I would consider Nav if they couldn't offer pilot training. I simply said no. Reason: pilot should have a measure of control of the situation. Check the first "principle of war" to see what I mean.