PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 11:37
NutLoose

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,231 Posts
The trouble is with the lighter side of things there is often not a repair scheme or manual for it available, a lot of American built aircraft simply refer you to AC43-13 for structural repairs, ( indeed the likes of the Seneca, the Airframe structural repair section is about a page in size) you then work out your repair from that.

You can read and download those here if your interested, full of good stuff.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...AC43.13-1b.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...2043.13-2B.pdf

I remember when the RAF first bought the gliders, If I remember correctly, they used one to look at the wings internally and as it had no access panels they cut several under the wings, there was no repair scheme so after their inspections they sold it as scrap, the person buying it ( CAA Licenced Engineer with years of carrying out structural repairs on gliders) carried out approved repairs to the wings and put it on the Civilian register, it was a long long time ago, so i may have the odd bit wrong but i'm pretty sure that is what happened to it.

Changes over have been traumatic, both in the Civil world and now it appears the Military, the trouble I forsee is the MAA are probably treating the whole issue as if it was a Voyager A330.

The CAA have of late set up a Light Aircraft section to address these issues, but with a Manning of 6 (though that number has reduced I believe to about 3 with people leaving) to cover the auditing for every aircraft and company operating in the UK below 5700KG.... have fun with that one.

Additionally there has been a move away from over legislating on the Civilian front to passing the buck on to operators and owners, so much so it frightens me, you are now in my eyes going to get maintenance driven by budget and not safety.
Aa an example, the Structural Inspection Programmes brought out by Cesssna to cover areas that need inspecting on the 100 series ageing fleets and now incorporated into the maintenance manuals, the CAA are taking the attitude that it is down to the owners/ operators whether or not they carry out these inspections....

Last edited by NutLoose; 18th Jul 2014 at 11:50.