PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atc Communication Help?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 10:06
ozbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with the who-where-what? comment.

It all clicked for me when I understood the reason for providing the particular pieces of information.

So on initial contact with ATC it is logical and reasonable that they want to know the 3 things above (and what you are going to do next).

Similarly, when you understand that circuit calls are to let everybody else know where you are and what you are doing, you are no longer just learning meaningless phrases, but could actually figure out what information you need to be giving.

One of the things that really helped with my RT confidence was being told that if I made a mistake to not worry about saying 'Correction', followed by the proper phrase or information. It made me understand that mistakes were normal and expected, and took the pressure off by introducing a formal way of pausing and then getting it right.

I am certain that in the early learning stages, when flying, the question of what to say next uses up a large portion of the brain capacity which would be better off being used for trying to control the aircraft. So I think it is nice to get it sorted early, but remember that in the scheme of things fluffing your lines is a non event compared to flying the plane safely and knowing where you are.

Good luck.