PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALDERNEY
Thread: ALDERNEY
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 08:47
fudpucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble is local residents don't listen to the answers they are given. You are correct in that a LCY rotation will take about three hours in total. I'd say it would realistically be three and a quarter hours before a 228 could complete the LCY rotation then depart for ACI.

You complain about lack of capacity on the routes out of ACI. The Dorniers will provide more seats. At best the Tri can lift 16 pax, the Dornier 19...and that's on the ACI-GCI route. I believe on the ACI-SOU route a realistic load for the Tri is 14 pax plus bags. For the Dornier it will be 19 pax plus bags. My basic grasp of mathematics tells me that per sector there will be an additional 5 seats. I don't want to complicate the issue but extrapolating on a four rotation day ACI-SOU that will mean an extra 40 seats. And that's just running one Dornier. If there is occasion to run two Dorniers during the day, say for a sporting or cultural event, then EACH Dornier will give an extra 5 seats per sector on the ACI-SOU route.

In 'the good old days' Aurigny had spare Tris that they could 'throw' at Alderney when the occasion demanded. That excess capacity cost money--lot's of it--and in today's market no airline can afford to have aircraft sitting around on the off-chance that they may be needed due to unserviceability or for the relatively few times during a year when excess capacity is needed for a few days. I'm thinking of Alderney Week here. At times the effort by Aurigny resembled the Berlin airlift in its intensity. I remember 17 rotations ACI-SOU! That was on perhaps 2 days of the year. No airline can afford to have that excess capacity just sitting in the hangar...but for many years Aurigny did and were their efforts appreciated? Nope, not that I remember. In fact it seemed to be winge, winge, winge most of the time.

I'm sorry but you simply have to understand that off-Alderney, everybody else thinks you are exceptionally well served in terms of air links. I would go further, Alderney is thinking of investing in a potty scheme to build a new marina. Quite apart from the fact that, as a keen yachtsman who has extensively sailed around the Channel Islands, I don't think the demand for such a marina is there, if the links are so bad why would anybody invest in a marina? I mean, how are the yotties going to get to their boats? It would have made far more sense if over the years more investment had been put into the airport and tourist industry by local investors. Instead of that, all that has happened is there has been a continuous 'winge' from Alderney about how badly served they are. You wanted competition because Aurigny had a monopoly. You got Air sarnia. That went bust, mainly due to lack of local support but there were other reasons, I accept that. You then got Rock Hopper, as was, some years later. They pulled out of Alderney, but not before they had got a route licence for ACI-JER. Aurigny warned at the time that two airlines on the route was unsustainable but nobody listened, so Aurigny pulled off the route. Then RH/BI pulled out of the island all together. Aurigny did not reinstate the route because it didn't pay. Didn't pay means they lost money on it. I hope you're able to follow this because it really isn't rocket science.

Now you (Alderney) are being offered extra capacity and what do we hear? More wingeing and mutterings of starting yet another new airline. The cost of doing so would be prohibitive and let's face it, would give Aurigny, or rather the States of Guernsey, the perfect excuse to say 'adios'. It really is a case of being careful what you wish for because you might just get it. The airline 'game' in 2014 is completely different to what it was in 1968, or even 1998. Some of those aviation 'experts' on Alderney simply don't appear to realise that.