PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 06:38
Mick Stuped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke, you have been out of GA for a while, last time I paid $30 grand a year for a basic full time line pilot was back in the 90's. You could also run a 206 for $200 and hour.

Have a look at the award line pilot basic wage as of 1st July is $40,470. Then add in a few more grand in allowances especially outback overnight, meals etc and chuck in a district allowance. Takes it to $43,780 plus. Now put on your 9.5% super takes it $47,939 plus. Casuals get better.
Now add to that six weeks leave a year on full pay and RDO's to make sure that only a 38 hour week is worked as per fair work agreements. Don't know I must be the one out of touch as just under $50 grand a year seems a reasonable wage for an apprentice. That's comparable to a second officer in a regional airline. All but one of other operators I know of all pay award. I know because they bitch about it start of each new financial year since the modern award came in.

As for training, we accept the role with gusto. Enjoy training pilots to a commercial standard and watch them move on and upwards, We take exception with having to go back over basic stuff like short field, cross winds and navigation. The newbie has paid for this as part of his training but isn't getting it. Who is getting shafted, not only us.

Wonder why all of a sudden operators are asking for higher minims for a start. Its because they are in hope that a few more hours, they will have mastered the basics. Its like a carpenter employing a newly qualified carpenter that doesn't know how to use a hammer. Basic standards in any industry have to apply, why not Aviation?

MS