PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2014, 03:33
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omens, grave portents and an 'orse race..

With moderator forbearance and a solemn no Chanties promise...

"Your presence is requested and required at five bells in the last dog watch; sharp; be there etc. etc". read the BRB missive. How strange thought I; BRB is normally pitch up if in town, when and as best pleases; most unusual to receive a 'requested and required'. So I toddled off arriving on time, to be met at the pub door by one of the 'new boys' – "they're upstairs in the ballroom" says the young gun. It's not really a ballroom, just a big-ish room where the junk is stored; old tables, knackered dartboards, old promotional stuff; but it serves well for serious sit downs, thus forewarned I headed up the stairs, about half way up I became slightly alarmed; there was so very little noise. Not a good omen.

I slipped in, and sensing the mood, just nodded to a few and sat down at P7 's table (much admired for it's Limerick graffiti, cigarette burns and 'artistic' carvings) – "Wuz up" says I: "Shhh !" says TOM. On the dot of 1830 one of the senior, retired members stood up and asked for quiet; "thanks for turning out" says he "I have asked for this special indaba so we can discuss the potential field for the Senate Ordinance Cup". Looks were exchanged and a crackle of electric interest passed through the two dozen odd assembled BRB. Oh ho, thinks I, as TOM gave me a crafty wink.

"The Senators have sponsored a very rare, heavy duty Matters of Privilege event": says our worthy, "I propose we place a substantial wager on the outcome" pauses - sip of red and continues. "It's to be a mystery event; they are not declaring the entry field, so we have no idea of the who the potential entrants may be; further, we have no idea of distance or indeed which hurdles may be used". "This is their right: however, I believe if we can narrow the field down to a few potential runners, we may see a substantial return on a modest investment; all those in favour say Aye". Carried - Unanimous – game On.

Well, it was a long evening and I dare say the bar suffered for it, but in the end it came down to a choice of four favourites; it was agreed that individual wagers could be made on a personal fancy, but the BRB 'pot' would be placed on the final selection. Herewith, the BRB form guide for the event. In reverse order:-

At #4. each way bet (4/1) with the BRB tote. Wodgers Wocket: Gelding, by Gas Chamber out of Sleight of Hand. Raced well last season, but with several disputed wins. The gelding prefers to run in the middle of the pack and has been accused, but never convicted of interference from behind. The infamous win in the Pel Air classic was a master stroke of deceptive running worthy of his infamous dam, Sleight of Hand. Track side gossip has it that dodgy 'paperwork' (pedigree and patents of nobility) have been 'shuffled' to provide, at least on the surface, a notion of racing credibility. At the last outing (Pel Air stakes 2013) the protest by the Cooked and Christmas stable lost traction when much of the required paperwork was 'lost' and other documents being unsigned were ruled out; but had that protest been upheld, the tote odds on the gelding would be much less liberal than we see at the SP bookmaker. A horse to watch.....

At #3. (3/1) with the BRB tote. Pumpkin Patch. Horse, by Magic Minister out of Bishops Queen. A stayer, suited the longer distances, larger tracks and 'big races'. Well managed by the connections, this crafty campaigner prefers a rails run without interference but has been distracted in the past and lost by not paying attention to the tactics employed by the rest of the runners. Last outing the horse nearly took a tumble at the Pink Bat sponsored gully fence, which slowed the approach to the final straight up Airport hill. An inability to increase pace during the final gallop tempts the betting to favour a strong third or close second.

At #2. (even money) with the BRB tote. Pearly White. Gelding out of Pinch-a-Penny and Sandsong Castle. First real outing for the gelding was the Pel Air classic and being raced in blinkers didn't assist. Experts assess the herd instinct in the animal to be very deep which restricts ability to lead and being reliant on the herd for guidance only accelerates when threatened directly from behind. A noted lack of agility makes this entry one of the firm favourites with the bookies, not the punters...

At #1. (5/4 odds on) with the BRB tote. Dark Horse. Horse out of Voodoo Rhythm by McComic's Folly. Only trackside gossip available due to lack of public racing experience. Word is that in the world of private racing, the Iron Ring connections will back the horse to the hilt until a first loss after which it will be put out to pasture used to train potential future stars and provided a quiet life.

Those are our picks for the Senate Matter of Privilege event, the winner earning it's connections the High Ordinance trophy and the Contempt of Parliament plate. Not bad for an afternoons work.

We remind all IOS readers that it is your shirt and you can do whatever pleases you best with it.